Palmisano: a sweet tradition that is renewed each day

1926

There’s a place in the Venice lagoon that is famous worldwide for its brightly coloured fishermen’s houses, its beautiful handmade lace and its delicious typical cakes and biscuits: the island of Burano.

It was here that Antonio Palmisano in 1926 set up an oven to which the women brought the wonderfully fragrant “bussolà” – a ring cake made with flour, sugar, butter and egg yolks – to be cooked for Easter, or the “essi” biscuits prepared with the same mix but shaped like an “S”, as well as other specialties traditionally made on Burano and in the Venetian area.

1950

In the fifties these specialties started to find their way from the oven of Antonio and his son Luigi to the shops in the historic centre of Venice. As time passed new ingredients, such as cocoa, coconut and many others, were added to the original recipe, prepared lovingly by hand and… with an extra pinch of creativity.

1990

In the late 90s the business moved to Cavallino-Treporti, near the seaside resort of Jesolo, where new ideas and new-found energy could be fully exploited. With Francesco Palmisano, son of Luigi, at the helm the artisan workshop turned into a modern company, keeping abreast of the innumerable customer demands and new food trends while maintaining traditional flavours and values.

2000

The product range increased and entered Italian supermarkets, top catering establishments as well as international markets. With the Buranellini®, for example, Palmisano gave a new twist to the traditional bussolà and created the world’s first mini ring cake with filling: a delicious novelty amongst all the other snacks on the market, conceived mainly with children in mind. In 2003 the company moved into even larger and more modern premises, always in the Venetian hinterland, where Palmisano quality, research and experience has continued to thrive: a sweet history that has been on-going, day after day, for almost 90 years.

Palmisano: a sweet tradition that is renewed over the years.